Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Feb. 28, 2007 - evening

Another day is coming to an end. We are counting down the days until we can come home. China is an incredible country and the area we are staying in is quite nice. We are on Shamian Island. They cater to the adoptive families here. We found out today that half of the island was French and the other half was British at one time. It is quaint and the streets where we walk around the hotel have something like courtyards in the middle. When we look out our hotel window at night, there are laser light shows going on and the buildings across the river are lit up with pretty lights.

Today we dropped off our laundry, checked out a stroller, and shopped around the hotel a little bit. My friend, Mary, joined us to look around some of the shops. Every shop we went to asked if we were sisters. I don't know if we really look that much alike, or if they think all caucasians look alike. We both have some highlights in our hair and similar complexions, so I guess that makes us look alike. I remember when I used to think that all Asians looked alike. Now I see that they have very different features. Out of our group of 10 babies/children from Guangdong, I don't really think any of them look alike. What is amazing is that several of the babies remind me of their new parents.

After a lunch (snacks we brought from home) we met the group to go to Beijing Road for some shopping. It was pretty crowded and there was a lot of energy. I bought a few things and tried to get the vendors to come down to the price that our guide told us was acceptable. I had a little luck, but could not get one lady to budge. Steve even tried to no avail. I finally went back and bought it. We were told to offer 1/3 of the price that they were asking. I got the purse for not quite half off the first price she told me. Honestly, it was still a pretty good deal. I really don't like haggling over prices. When we would walk away, they would be yelling at us to come back. When they would ask me again how much I would pay and I would tell them the same price, they would still make me the same offer. I guess that they thought I would change my mind after I walked off and they called me back. Oh brother!

We miss our family, friends, and the comforts of home. I'm anxious to get our little Gabriella into a routine and show her what it is like to have a home with a family that adores her. She is going to love it!

I am amazed at how strong Gabi is. She pulled up in her crib tonight and stood for a few seconds without holding on. She is jabbering more today. She seemed to enjoy the ride in her stroller today. Quite a few people would stop and smile at her or talk to her. She would smile at them, but would not reach out to them when they would try to get her to come to them. One lady tried to take her out of the stroller, but I quickly told her "no" and walked away and took Gabi out of the stroller to hold. I think she might have been just trying to console her as she began to fuss a little bit, but it just isn't right to go take someone else's baby out of their stroller. Gracie told me several times while we were out shopping on Beijing Road that she didn't like it and it felt a little scary to her. It was a bit overwhelming and crowded at times. We also aren't used to people getting into our "personal space" like they often do here.

We finished the day with dinner at Pizza Hut. The Hornsby's, David & Rachel, joined us with their twin boys and new 13 month old daughter. It was nice to have something that tasted like it was from home.

Okay, we woke up the baby by making too much noise so I'd better go help Steve get her back down. Steve has been working hard to get as many pictures downloaded as he has time to do. If you click on the Flickr box, you can see quite a few more pics. We have to click on it 3 times from here, but maybe you don't have to back home.

Goodnight!

Steve, Jackie, Gracie and Gabi Claire