March 3 - p.m.
We had a nice day today. The weather was pleasant and we didn't end up getting the rain that had previously been predicted. We went to breakfast (you sure don't want to miss that meal)and then our group all walked together to the building where the medical exams are done. It was a 15 minute walk. Along the way we saw a group of older women do Tai Chi(?) in the park and there was a playground filled with people of all ages that were working out and playing.
Gabi didn't even cry during her exam. There were 3 stations that you rotated through. The first one had a Dr. that examined her. The second station weighed and measured her, and the third station checked her ears and throat. I asked what her weight was and they said 18.2 pounds and 27.5 inches. I don't have a lot of faith in that though. She doesn't look like she weighs that much and our scales here in the room don't agree. They said that she doesn't have any ear infections, but has some hard wax in one ear. I think I'm going to let her pediatrician handle that. I sure don't want to be the bad guy. :)
She is just about to get her 2nd tooth through on the top. Poor thing has had a lot going on in the last week. In spite of it all, she is a very happy little one. She easily smiles now and is always ready to play or be held. She still won't eat anything, but takes her bottles really well. She knows now when we go to the corner table that we are fixing her a bottle. She is a wiggle worm and wants to get everything within her reach. She reminds us of some of our other children, especially Lauren. She loves to look out at everything that is going on around her. She does like to snuggle, which is so great.
After the exam, we let Gracie play in the playground with her friend, Kyle, and her new 4 year old sister, Ru Yi (Kira). We enjoyed watching the two little blonde headed girls with a playground full of Chinese people, young and old. We did a little shopping then and got measured for the girls to have matching dresses made for their "Red Couch" photos on Wednesday. I was letting Gracie help pick out the fabric. We went from turquoise to green to pink and ended up with a pretty blue. I wish that I had measured Lauren, Lindy, and Danielle before I left and maybe I could have had a dress made for them. Sorry girls. :(
We had nap & bottle time and ordered lunch in the room. This evening we went to dinner at Lucy's and joined the Humphrey's again. The group from Hunan arrived sometime this afternoon and we met the other two families that I have been corresponding with. Their daughters are 11 and 14 months old, I believe. I'm glad that they are all here in Guangzhou now. They said it is much nicer here. I'm sure not complaining about our accomodations.
After dinner, we went to 7-11 to get more water, rice cereal, teething biscuits, Sprite, and of course, Steve grabbed some Oreo's. I picked up a couple of things at Susan's Place. The owner is from Lianjiang, where Gabi is from. He told me lots of things about where she is from and encouraged us to try to go there. They grow a lot of fruits and vegetables in Lianjiang and have a famous type of chicken. He said it is a very nice place. Someone else told us that there isn't any pollution like there is in most places. The main power plant for China is located there. They also have some beautiful beaches about 45 minutes away. I gathered that it is more of a tropical climate. He (Dong) commented on Gabi's very dark hair and said it is good and very black, which means that she is healthy.
We ended the day back at the hotel. Gracie fell asleep before we could get her ready for bed. She can barely make it to 9:00p.m. On most nights, she is down at about 8p.m. She is really enjoying her new little sister and is very patient with her. She wants to hold her and help take care of her. She is great at getting me diapers and wipes when I need them. She entertains Gabi and is very sweet with her. I wish my other kids could be here with us as we get to know this precious baby.
We miss you all! Enjoy the pictures and videos. Steve is getting really good at this stuff!
Love, hugs, and kisses,
Jackie, Steve, Gracie, and Gabi
<< Home